Thursday 25 June 2015

HAVING THE CONVERSATION WITH A STRUGGLING COLLEAGUE

http://www.headsup.org.au/supporting-others-in-the-workplace/having-a-conversation

WARNING: COULDN'T THINK OF MENTAL HEALTH JOKES TODAY
I've said this before, but it's the moral responsibility of the functional people around the struggling person to help. This applies to workplaces and families and any group.
You might think you're top shyte and superior to those having troubles but there's a decent chance that it could be you struggling in the future. If you still believe any of these myths, please take a look at the evidence: http://www.mpuuc.org/mentalhealth/myths.html
Scientologists tell schizophrenics to stop taking their meds. Great advice Xenu!
I'm not saying these are easy conversations. If you have empathy, then anything you say will help. If you struggle with empathy, then ask someone who does to have a chat with them.
Don't wait for the person to 'drown' and expect them to be fully proactive in their recovery. It is one of my key findings that I'm expected to be way more proactive than I am capable with my mental illness.
Some of the Bible is pretty good...
For those who don't know, one of my plans is to be a mental health advocate once I am able. Tough job, but employers would be happy with any increased productivity and employees would have a single point of contact to liaise with all necessary parties.
Such a person would have definitely benefited me before I spiraled down. Many colleagues have been great but my bosses just don't know how to handle me and to be fair it doesn't come naturally to them and we haven't been trained in the touchy feely stuff.
Bravo to organisations such as Beyond Blue who are trying to improve work culture. Large employers like mine are really starting to listen!
One in five Australian workers is
currently experiencing a mental health condition


No comments:

Post a Comment